About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Ohana - As Promised

Aloha!

Even though using that greeting feels inauthentic because I'm no longer holding a mai tai lounging on a stunning beach, I know you'll forgive me. Had the ship's WiFi cooperated, I might have dazzled you with a description of the cliffs off the coast of Kauai while watching the herd descend on the buffet. Take pity on me and other weary travelers. I planned to issue a bulletin from the National Parks we visited, Pearl Harbor, and the Kaloko Cloud Forest - the lu'au beckoned. Life can be harsh. 

I didn't need to spend the past ten days in Hawaii to realize how fortunate I am. But my gratitude grows each time I travel. If you've been lucky enough to visit this paradise - or do so in the future - I'd enjoy hearing about your experience. Aside from the obvious natural beauty ...

* I will never forget how energized the cultural diversity of this place made me feel.

* With fourteen more letters to work with, I look forward to my first game of Scrabble with someone who knows only Hawaiian.

* Mea culpa: I can no longer assert National Parks as a guaranteed repository of out-of-state license plates - two for two without a single non-Hawaii plate. Actually, even with my obsessive eagle eye searching everywhere - streets of Honolulu, hotel parking lots in Maui, out the window of our tour bus on the way to Pu'uhuona O Honaunau (try pronouncing that - I dare you) - it was the Aloha state without exception.

There's so much more. But to my Road Scholars ohana and anyone else visiting the bell curve today, it's your turn now. What will you most remember about Hawaii?    

7 comments:

  1. Please come over soon and tell us all about your adventures... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara; I'll look forward to telling you all about it - what a treat!

      Delete
  2. To our Mana Travelers: We were a very special group. It did feel like a family of gifts, experiences, sharing, curious and open minds Perhaps there were downsides, as there usually are, but it passed by me. We had a good trip together. Peace and joy, Friends To Pat from NJ: is this too long for your blog. Thanks for including us. You have a good sense of things and folks like us. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat! Thanks for sending the link to your blog. We did arrive home on Monday morning after some fascinating visits to the Mission Houses, Shangri-La and the Honolulu Museum of Art on Saturday and an 8 hour rainy ride around Oahu on Sunday. Oahu is indeed a beautiful island! And we have such fond memories of our island journeys with Kim, you and all our Road Scholar Ohana. Thank you for your book suggestions -- and we surely enjoyed the fun conversations at mealtimes. Mahalo and Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan & Bonnie; It was a genuine pleasure interacting with both of you on our adventure in Hawaii. You're welcome re the book suggestions - plenty more of those are buried in my blog archives; I'd love to hear from you if either of you get around to reading anything we discussed or stuff you learn of via my blog.

      Delete