About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Ouch

"If I cannot see some good in all of us and hope that the pain we all share will come to an end, what kind of man am I?" 

How often do you ask yourself a question as difficult as that? I sincerely believe the world would be a more civil place if we each tried to see more good in others. And I know I'd like myself a little more if I routinely integrated that kind of grace into my life.

"We are none of us innocent."

Pointing the finger at others is so much easier than looking at ourselves, isn't it? How much healthier I'd be if I considered my complicity in the injustices of the world instead of demonizing the folks who have been publicly declared guilty of wrongdoing. Why expend energy in such a negative way?

"It must be a terrible thing to know you've been a bad parent, but it's worse to know you have been an ungrateful child."

Ouch. The quotes above are from John Boyne's unsparing novel A History of Loneliness (2015). The narrator and central character - Odran Yates - is an insular Catholic priest who has tended a library as the cancer in the Church has metastasized and the payoffs to purchase silence have been authorized by Rome. The architecture is masterful, the prose is solid, the story is compelling. But I recommend it only to those unafraid to look inward.      

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pat!!! Been too long since I was able to get on here and read/comment. Even a I sit here, I should be doing something else...it is my planning period after all! But I saw you come into my inbox and thought I'd take a moment for myself. I was struck by your bumper sticker post and then moved down to this one. It made me think that you might enjoy reading what I have been writing...in particular a post called, "If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say, You're Not Paying Attention". I don't know how to forward the actual post to you, so I will just direct you to donnamacc.blogspot.com hopefully you will find it there and enjoy! I hope you are well! Please keep us thinking on here...on the occasion that I have time to read, I often take a look to see what you are suggesting. I appreciate your thoughts and time on here.

    Thank you!!

    d.

    ReplyDelete
  2. d; As always (no matter how long the delay in between), I'm happy to hear from you and appreciate your comment. Didn't know you'd joined the blogger's world so I will be sure to check out your post. Just an FYI: Forwarding an individual post on blogspot is pretty easy. Look at the icons at the bottom of each post and click on the one that says "M"; from there you will probably be able to figure it out. Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete