About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Chickens, Eggs, Passions, Work

Do we move toward our passions in life or do those passions develop based on the way our life evolves?

Reading a description of natural phenomena that have developed over the course of 350+ million years got me started on this latest chicken and egg exploration. I began reflecting on people who choose geology as a field. Given the long view they study, I'm guessing a serious geologist might find my pre-occupation with the modern era tiresome. I'd also bet as a group they would tend to have better perspective than I given how present and future focused I can be. But even if I'm wrong on both counts, is a passion about the distant past part of what drives people toward geology? Or, does that passion develop as a person becomes enmeshed in the field? How about you and your passions? Chicken or egg?

While reading "A Widower's Tale" (Julia Glass) I was further struck as a character considers his oncologist mother. He wonders if his mother was drawn to that work because she was always adept handling worst-case scenarios. Or, did her work shape and strengthen a skill he believed was there from the start? So, why did the chicken cross the road? To lay this egg somewhere in the middle?       

No comments:

Post a Comment