About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, January 25, 2013

The Payoff Project, Continued

About a year ago, I solicited help on my daughter's behalf when she'd asked her geeky Dad about great actress performances on film; I knew there would be some I'd missed. Throughout 2012, I spaced out 40 recommendations (so she could keep up) and also wrote something about each performance in my e-mails to her. So, since several movies suggested came from your responses to my earlier post...

"Please Sir (or Madam), may I have some more?"  I hope my observations about the first 40 will help you to help me to help her.

* I was too heavy on drama. Not sure if that's my own somber propensities or the fact that it's harder to recognize good comic performances. In either case, I need your help.
* 40 films - Two African American women (Whoopi Goldberg in "Corrina, Corrina" & Oprah Winfrey in "The Color Purple "), one Latina (Penelope Cruz in "Elegy"), and one Asian (Sandra Oh in "Sideways"). Not bad, but more help needed. 
* Using my film book collection to ensure I recalled award winning performances I felt were worthy (e.g. Bette Davis in "All About Eve") might have led me to err a bit on the mainstream side. So, any offbeat suggestions are welcome.

Extra points if you make a suggestion and identify the film quoted in bold italics. Ready? Go! And thanks again.    

No comments:

Post a Comment