About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, March 30, 2015

The Same Fruitcake?

In the early years of our relationship, my wife and I would routinely speculate about couples seated near to us in a restaurant who barely said a word to one another while dining. Invariably, our conversation would then move onto our hopes that we'd continue to enjoy each other's company and conversation indefinitely. Thirty seven years later, I'm pleased to say that is the case.

Fast forward. A few weeks ago my wife and I were out dining, enjoying our conversation. I casually glanced at a nearby couple and observed both of them texting on their individual cell phones. Brief pause - more texting, no face-to-face communication. I said to my wife - how sad. She gently chastised me and suggested I ignore them and come back to giving her my full attention. Point taken.

Yet since that night I've been thinking about fruitcake. Years ago, each time I received a fruitcake around Christmas, I would re-gift it to someone else. And I often joked that the same fruitcake had probably traveled around the world several times. So, is it possible the recent couple texting on their phones are the same silent people my wife and I saw in the early years of our relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment