About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

My Poetry Guide

How often have you felt dense about how much poetry you understand?

I have Dr. Arnold Weinstein to thank for helping ease the insecurity long attached to this dirty little secret of mine. If a scholar as accomplished as he can admit Emily Dickinson has occasionally eluded him, surely I'm not as dense as all that.

Each of Dr. Weinstein's five Teaching Company lectures plumbs a different aspect of Dickinson's sometimes inscrutable verse. I always knew Dickinson was revered but her garbled syntax often kept me at a distance. How great it is to have Weinstein guide me through her style. And even better than feeling a bit more educated is my new sense of now being ready to tackle other poetry.

If you've never tried any of the Teaching Company's Great Courses, you're missing a real treasure. If you have tried any, tell me and others about some favorites.

www.teach12.com

No comments:

Post a Comment