About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, August 10, 2017

50 Ways To Leave The Bad Stuff Behind

My 50th high school graduation celebration is about one month away.

OK, that's a scary sentence. But since committing to attending - partially due to the intense lobbying of an old friend who played organ in my high school and college bands - my obsessive mind hasn't had much rest. Most of that lunacy ended up in my journal - and one never-to-be-heard song - and then ... a worthwhile and semi-sane exercise came to me. I hope you'll join me, no matter how long it's been since your high school graduation.

Take your number of years and list that many things you've done since graduation that you're proud of. Or, if you have trouble getting to that many sources of pride, complete the list with stuff you're grateful for; these two often overlap  I plan to ask every classmate I encounter on September 9 this same question - might help keep this extrovert from blabbing ad nauseam. Now, after six and a half years blogging, I know no one will comment here unless I go first so here's three from my list. All fifty are available upon request - as if.

1.) I'm proud of completing my Master's Degree at forty eight years old.
2.) I'm proud of sticking with the guitar through these fifty years.
3.) I'm proud of helping to raise one solid human being.

6 comments:

  1. I think you'll scare people away asked ng them that. I like the concept though. I think it would be interesting to see people's responses. And Pat, you have easily done 50 things to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy; Thanks for the comment and kind words. For the record, I'm not planning to ask anyone for 50 things, just one; I don't think that will scare folks off.

      Delete
  2. Graduated high school in 02 so I owe 15.
    1. Giving birth to Meghan
    2. Giving birth to Maya
    3. Earning my Masters degree at GWU
    4. Working as a server in a restaurant during grad school so that I could graduate with very little student loan debt to my name
    5. Learning to navigate my newly diagnosed chronic medical condition
    6. Completing (and also training for!!) my marathon in 2011
    7. Keeping in touch with many college friends despite the physical distance
    8. Extremely vain but... winning my fantasy football league this past season
    9. Contributing to my retirement as soon as I was able to (in my first job out of grad school)
    10. Donating to PSU dance marathon every year since I graduated college (funds go to fight pediatric cancer)
    11. Making a difference every day in the lives of athletes at my school
    12. Continuing my education through conferences, online classes, etc yearly
    13. Having a great relationship with my in-laws (they are great people)
    14. Being ok with saying I don't know
    15. Recognizing that it is ok sometimes to put yourself first in the interest of health

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa; Been a long time since your last comment here but your list of fifteen made the wait worthwhile.

      Delete
  3. Pat
    i was away and just saw this. Thanks for the mention. I will give this some thought and give a real reply. i hope this sticks.
    Your band mate

    y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous band mate: Glad a comment from you final stuck. And I'll look forward to your "real" reply to this or any future post; thanks for reading.

      Delete