About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, January 16, 2022

67% Schadenfreude

As far as I'm concerned, 2022 has gotten off to a strong start, with respect to some folks about to pay for their crimes. If you share some of my schadenfreude seeing these miscreants headed for jail, it would be comforting - in a perverse way - to know I'm not alone in my uncharitable thoughts.

I'll start with Elizabeth Holmes. White-collar crime so often goes undetected and even when it is detected, the wealthy people caught can often buy their way out of being punished. If you haven't yet seen The Inventor: Out For Blood in Silicon Valley - a documentary about Holmes and her greedy scam - watch it soon and then tell me: Do you hope, as I do (forgive me, father), that this person spends at least a few years locked up to give her plenty of time to think about her misdeeds? 

I won't be asking that same question about the near-future fate of Ghislaine Maxwell. Frankly, if you don't think this enabler deserves to spend some time in a small cell, you and I can agree to disagree. Yes, I would have preferred to see the actual predator pay for his crimes - rather than his high-paid and willing assistant - but I won't lose sleep over what the next few years of Maxwell's life will be like. Mea culpa.

I have no qualifications whatsoever about the life sentences the McMichael morons just received.  

6 comments:

  1. I am totally with you. In the email it says 2021 but you must have caught the mistake and corrected it to 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for comment. No surprise to me that you and I are aligned here. And, yeah, I caught that mistake in the year AFTER I'd published the post meaning all the e-mail notifications that already gone out had 2021; darn.

      Delete
  2. Pat, Very well said, I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Peter; Been a long time since I've seen you on the bell curve. Thanks for reading and your concurrence with my schadenfreude-tinged observatiopns. I've missed your pertinent comments here these last few years.

      Delete
  3. Hello Pat. Not often one gets to read the word 'Schadenfreude' in, well, anything. Always loved the sound of the word as well as the meaning. I am in full agreement with your feelings about these individuals and their crimes. And, while I agree, I have to comment more about you saying '... the wealthy people caught can often buy their way out of being punished ... ' as that is all too often the case. And, more o the point, as much as I am in agreement with he situations you reference, there are some cases that will be coming up in the near future that will, hopefully, also yield some harsh punishments to those who think that they are above the law simply because of what they have and who they perceive themselves to be. Also, in what I hope will be a bit of irony, perhaps by over inflating the value of their worth (including properties) it will bring them down to a more level playing field.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous" Bob; Thanks for two comments in one day. I'm pretty sure I know of who you speak re "...some cases that will come up in the near future..." and I'm even more sure I won't lose ANY sleep over that person going to jail. If that does happen I'll be in schadenfreude heaven.

      Delete