About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, August 22, 2022

Remember Her Name

Chanel Miller's searing memoir Know My Name (2019) is an appalling, infuriating, wholly necessary reading experience. As the talented young author describes a harrowing journey through our warped legal system following her sexual assault, I lost count how many times I shook my head in disbelief. Although Miller could have chosen to remain the anonymous "Emily Doe" indefinitely - a name given to her in the police report following her assault, the same name she used in her victim impact statement, later read to her convicted assailant at his sentencing hearing - in the end, she chose a more courageous path. 

By using her real name to bravely describe the dehumanizing treatment she endured during her multi-year ordeal, Miller gives others who may experience similar trauma a road map for navigating the treacherous terrain awaiting them as victims at every turn, if they decide to confront an assailant in a courtroom. Start to finish, Know My Name is a stark reminder of why so few women choose to do so.   

Miller's account of a life-altering assault and frustrating pursuit of justice - even with an open-and-shut case - is powerful, articulate, and sometimes unfathomable. Two eyewitnesses pursued and then tackled the assailant, waited for the police to arrive and arrest him, and later testified in court. But somehow, Miller ends up having to defend herself as the predator dissembles, his friends and family bemoan the "ruined future" of this star athlete, and the judge doing the sentencing shows more empathy for the attacking animal than for his damaged prey. The less said about the tactics of the bottom-feeding defense lawyers - the best that money can buy - the better.

No more details. I sincerely hope this post piques your interest enough for you to read this book. Chanel Miller deserves no less. Tell others you know about her story. Remember her name.  

4 comments:

  1. I finished this book two days ago and am still in awe of her writing ability. I have already told others it is a "must read." It is searing, wrenching, poignant....the adjectives go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment. So glad to hear you're recommending this worthwhile book to others. Looking forward to our September discussion of it at my book club.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Pat. My sister is actually reading this book now. Although she's taking some necessary time off for cataract surgery, I am sure she will continue reading it as soon as the bandage comes off. Her recommendation, along with yours ... well, another book to add to my list with a 'Must Read' asterisk right next to it.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; What a wonderful coincidence that your sister is right now reading "Know My Name". Be sure to have her share her take on this book with you when she finishes. Why not send her the link to this post? Maybe she'll decide to comment here or, if she's uncomfortable doing that, ask her to share her impressions of the book with me offline; feel free to give her my e-mail address for that purpose. Either way, I'd welcome the opportunity to communicate with her about the book. BTW, my book club (at the Brielle library) is discussing "Know My Name" at our Tuesday September 13 meeting, which starts at 6:30. You and/or your sister are very welcome to join us for a one-off that night, if either of you are so inclined. I realize Brielle is a hike for you (your sister?) but what the heck.

      Delete