About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, November 11, 2022

Signaling

Rewind three days. Imagine you were in line to vote and spotted another waiting voter sporting either MAGA or Black Lives Matter attire. Assuming you're aligned with one of those viewpoints, how likely would you be to make it clear in some way to that voter that you support or disagree with their view? Regardless of which view is yours, what is your opinion about that type of overt signaling in a public polling place? 

What about more subtle signaling? Is there a continuum? Where does that continuum begin, i.e., what are the most subtle signals? A flag lapel pin? Wearing red or blue? On Tuesday, I was already waiting on line before realizing I'd worn a National Parks T-shirt. Would it cross your mind that I was sending a signal wearing that shirt? What signal would that be? At the precise moment I began wondering about my shirt, I noticed another voter in line with a PGA hat. Signal? Leaving the polling place, my reflections deepened spotting someone entering the building with a PBA windbreaker. Signal? Or did those PGA and PBA voters don their attire as innocently as I did my National Parks t-shirt? 

As soon as it arrives, I'll proudly signal the message of a new t-shirt I recently ordered that proclaims "Equal rights for all does not mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie." But wearing it while standing in line to vote is not in my future. 

2 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. Still loving the new t-shirt slogan. As for the rest of todays post .. For me it has come to knowing if/when to engage. And I realize your post may be about more than just politics. Years ago it was ok to voice an opposing opinion. In fact, there were some good debates and conversations. Unfortunately, with todays political atmosphere, it has become dangerous and, at times, deadly. Subtle or not. Believe me, I will still express my viewpoints, in the proper forum and at the proper times, but, again, due to the current climate, I have become more selective as to the if and the when. Based on the results of the recent mid-term elections, there is hope that the tide may be starting to shift. Let's continue to hope it progresses in that direction. For now, I'll wear my Fender and NY Rangers t-shirts and go from there.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for two comments in one day (again). I hear you about the need for caution with the way tempers are flaring out there. I especially like your closing comment re sticking with the Fender and NY Rangers garb. Smart.

      Delete