About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Gifts From The Universe

Although Covid-19 still has hot spots around the U.S., I'm happy to report a trip to Maine which we were forced to postpone in October 2020 is coming off this year. Along with visiting some old friends in southern Maine, this extended road trip will also mark our fifth visit to Acadia National Park, one of the only places my wife and I have chosen to re-visit more than twice. 

Even better, we'll be reuniting - also for the fifth time - with the late-in-life soulmates we met on our first trip with Road Scholars to Alaska. These fourteen people have been the best gift the universe has sent me since 2015. Each of our previous four reunions - to Rocky Mountain National Park, Camp Sagamore in the Adirondacks of New York, the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington State, and Amelia Island in Florida - has deepened our connection with these friends, travelling companions, fellow bookworms. Even while Covid-19 raged in 2020, we met twice - virtually - to discuss The Good Lord Bird (James McBride) and The Illusion of Separateness (Simon Van Booy). At this year's reunion, one of our evenings will be devoted to discussing Our Souls At Night (Kent Haruf). And I can't wait to hear what this group of smart readers has consumed since we all last met face-to-face in 2019. 

What has been the best gift the universe has given you since 2015? How about in the last year? The last month?       

4 comments:

  1. Have fun dad! Always nice to read some good news :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison; Thanks sweetheart. See you when we get back.

      Delete
  2. Hey, Pat. Hope this finds you all doing well. Glad to see that you're starting your trips again. I've heard so many wonderful things about Acadia, but haven't made it there ... yet.
    As for gifts since 2015 ... Well, my twin grandsons were born in 2016. So that's the biggest gift. And one that definitely keeps on giving.
    We haven't yet planned any big trips yet, but did venture into NY City this past weekend. Took the boys to their first Yankees game on Friday night. And on Sunday my wife and I, and her sister, went to the BC/EFA Broadway Flea Market. Rose and I have been going for many years now. So much fun and a wonderful cause. Unfortunately, last years was only a virtual event, for obvious reasons. But it was great to be back in the City.
    Have fun on your vacation, reconnecting, and the wonderful discussions you have planned.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob thanks for the comment. Hard to top the gift you received in 2016.

      Delete