About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Wanted: Neologisms

neologism: a new word, usage or phrase.

I'd bet most of us have more than once thought or said to others - "Why isn't there a word for that?"
It will surprise no regular reader of this blog to know I've got a list of my own neologisms. But, if I provide a situation that begs for one, would one of you please go first this time? OK - try this.

In Alaska, the weather conditions seven months of each year are equivalent to what those of us in the lower forty eight call winter. What neologism would you suggest for the remaining five months of the Alaskan year with weather equivalent to the other three seasons combined?

Take my situation, invent your word, get some low risk cyberspace exposure. Or, if you already have other neologisms ready (who doesn't, right?), ignore my situation and bring 'em on.      

3 comments:

  1. I'm not that creative. Only one word came immediately to mind: STUPEFICTION. My definition? Pop fiction so astonishingly bad that it causes brain damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pathemia http://oxfordindex.oup.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198523628.003.0005

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two comments warrant a reveal of my neologism for those other five Alaskan not-winter seasons - sprumall.

      Delete