About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Continuing A Media Fast

http://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2012/04/fasting-to-slow-down.html

My pledge from five years ago today to go on periodic "media fasts" was primarily aimed at limiting the amount of celebrity information routinely jammed down our throats. Though it's too early to declare complete victory, I do feel I've re-claimed some valuable hours by remaining mindful of that pledge. What strategies do you use to avoid knowing too much about the rich and famous?

Those were the good old days - celebrity overkill as my biggest beef with the media; so quaint, really. Who could have predicted in March 2012 the garbage that would be foisted on us a few years later, with the media having the temerity to call it "news"? It's pathetic what is delivered to us as intelligent political discourse in 2017. How do we remain intelligently informed with "alternative facts" being reported as though they mattered?

So, continuing my periodic media fasts has now become an important component for my mental health. I'll think myself fortunate if I'm able to re-claim still more hours over the next five years by not swallowing the swill the media has been serving since Twitter became a newsworthy source. Let me know if you plan to join me.

4 comments:

  1. I'm in. To preserve my sanity I too periodically take a media fast especially when I travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for joining me. I agree that time away from home is an especially good time to fast.

      Delete
  2. I have never been one who was interested in celebrity "stuff". I am now at a point where I can enjoy the reaction of folks when I do not know a thing about the current gossip. I think it is an eye-opener to folks that an intelligent woman can possibly not know the nonsense that permeates our culture.

    Just as you are happily reclaiming your time, I am similarly amazed that folks can fit T.V. into their lives at all. And now that we are living in the world of snippets of information on Twitter and such, I am reminded of Benjamin Franklin telling us that a small leak can sink a big ship. I wonder how many hours of time are spent, or wasted, reading a little of this and a little of that, none of which helps any of us to become better at being "us".

    My personal rule: If it is not going to personally effect me in a positive way, I don't need to use my brain to absorb the information being offered.

    d.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. d; Once again, your comment is astute and pertinent. Since you read my blog periodically, I'm going to count myself among the fortunate people/writers who "...affect you in a positive way." Presumptuous of me I know but hey, a guy's gotta have confidence, right?

      Delete