About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, April 7, 2017

Fourteen Hours Later

Immediately after finishing "Ill Will" a little after midnight, I knew my next blog post had to be about Dan Chaon's brand new, deeply disturbing novel. I also wished there was a way to have a long conversation with my reading posse about this book that very moment. Some books just beg to be discussed.

First and foremost, "Ill Will" is brilliant. It is also creepy, lucid, ghastly, riveting. The architecture is inventive and the prose is muscular. I can't recall the last novel I read that so seamlessly toggled between moments of tenderness and terror.

More than fourteen hours have passed since I closed "Ill Will". I didn't sleep well. At the stable this a.m., I couldn't stop talking about it. I'm a long way from fully processing this experience.

"We often meet our destiny on the road we take to avoid it." - Jean De La Fontaine   

No comments:

Post a Comment