About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, November 7, 2020

Don't Miss This One

Whenever I'm knocked out by a film more than a few years old, especially one I've never heard anyone mention, my first thought is "How did this get by me?" Aside from regular conversations with my actress daughter and reading any film review I come across, I also scan the movie selections on my cable stations way too frequently. All that movie geekiness and still Goldstone (2016) snuck up on me. 

It could be this winner escaped me because of its nondescript title. Or, maybe a film with no big names set in Australia didn't entice reviewers from newspapers and magazines I routinely read. It's even possible my own biases let this gem slip by. If I had read a review - though I don't recall doing so - and that review said the two main characters were police officers, I might not have paid as close attention. I'm not proud of this particular filter of mine, but denying it exists would be dishonest. 

Don't let any of your filters interfere with seeking out this sleeper. Nuanced script, superb direction, two charismatic lead performances by Aaron Pedersen & Alex Powell and a sly supporting performance by the criminally underutilized Jackie Weaver. I had one tiny quibble involving an automobile near the end of the film, but the climactic gun scene just prior to that and the stunning cinematography highlighting the wide-open Australian landscape throughout the film more than absolved the automobile misstep.

After you see Goldstone be sure to check back in with me. We movie geeks have to stick together. Who else will have us?   


4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Pat. With so many choices (SO MANY) these days, I appreciate your recommendation. Especially for films that re not widely known. I’ll get back to you after watching this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RRGRMG; You're welcome; thanks for reading and commenting. Just be sure to let yourself get into the leisurely pace as the film starts; I promise it will pay off.

      Delete
  2. what platform did you watch it on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Pretty sure it was Netflix. Only other possibility - given my current providers - would have been HBO.

      Delete