About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

The Hardest Subject?

Novels that have the death of a child at their core are inherently problematic. Is there is any event in the life of a parent more damaging than losing a child? Any writer attempting to convey that trauma in a meaningful way - without descending into the maudlin - is faced with a daunting task.

"The floor was opening up under my feet and nobody seemed to notice it but me." 

I saw the movie version of John Burnham Schwartz's 1998 novel Reservation Road around the time of its 2007 release. I recall being riveted end-to-end and remember how the final confrontation scene between the two fathers - played by Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Ruffalo - shook me up and remained with me for months afterward. When I closed the book several weeks ago, I was relieved and saddened that the novel ended exactly as the film had. Relieved because it was the perfect way to conclude this raw and powerfully written tale. Saddened because, having seen the film first, the impact of the book's brave ending was muted for me.

"She was a husk; she'd never been so empty. 'You're wrong Sergeant. I'm not upset. I'm hardly even here.' " 

For me, the master stroke in Schwartz's novel was his decision to toggle two first-person accounts alongside a third-person account. The first italicized sentence above is in the first-person voice of the father who loses his ten-year-old son in a hit-and-run. It is Ethan Learner's voice that begins and ends the book. The four italicized sentences after that begin with nine flawlessly chosen words - only two longer than one syllable - describing in third person what a mother who has just lost her son would feel like, followed by Grace Learner's matter-of-fact words to the State Trooper investigating the case. 

The other first-person voice in the novel belongs to Dwight Arno - also the father of a ten-year-old boy - the man who accidentally kills Josh Learner. Reviewing all I underlined while preparing to write this post, I struggled to decide which one passage to use here to highlight how skillfully Schwartz depicted Dwight's anguish throughout. In the end, I settled on two. The first concludes Part One of the novel and the other is from the penultimate chapter - part of the confrontation scene I referenced above - the last time we hear Dwight's voice.

"There are heroes, and there are the rest of us. There comes a time when you just let go the ghost of the better person you might have been."

"I had taken from him everything there was to take, and had wanted none of it, had hoped and tried to avoid it, had regretted it deeply. But I had taken his boy just the same."

Read this book before you watch the film. But wait until you are ready before doing either. Both will take a toll. 

4 comments:

  1. I’m not a reader of many books as you know, though I read much more in the past. There are subjects I choose not to read or watch, not because I think they should be ignored, quite the contrary, but because they take too much of a a toll on me. My list of avoided topics has grown. The holocaust, for example. Slavery. Etc. They upset me and it’s difficult to recover. Death of a child would be right at the top. I can imagine how paralyzingly devastating it would be and am not able to read about it. Give me a fluff detective story, or a non-fiction topic I can do something about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim; Nice to see a comment from you. Choosing not to read about the subjects you identify above is a sound strategy. Sometimes when something I read temporarily immobilizes me - as this book did, and others about the additional subjects you mentioned above have in the past - I question why I don't use a similar preventive strategy.

      Delete
  2. I agree that this is the "hardest subject." I will wait until I am ready to read this book. I have dear friends in Germany who lost their eldest son at age 19 in 2011. They have shared their grief with me many times. This has given me a small window into what such a tragedy feels like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment. Waiting until you are ready to read the book or see the film is wise.

      Delete