About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Gardeners On Fire

Few things get me as reliably juiced as being around passionate people. Even when the passion in question is something that doesn't ignite me, I have trouble staying unengaged. Don't you find this kind of energy contagious? What passion - one not high on your list - were you most recently exposed to where the folks around you seemed to be on fire? 

https://mtcubacenter.org/

Late last week I got lit up by a bus full of self-described plant nerds. In her capacity as the founder of the Monmouth County Chapter of the Native Plant Society of New Jersey (NPSNJ), my wife organized a trip to Mt. Cuba Center, a non-profit botanical garden located in Hockessin, Delaware. Not every conversation on the two-hour ride to/from Mt. Cuba centered on gardens, ground cover, invasive species, etc. But most of the conversations I overheard that strayed too far from the passion of most everyone on the bus circled back quickly. And everything covered by the Mt. Cuba staff in the hours spent at this beautifully serene place further nourished that shared passion. Despite the little time I've ever spent digging, planting, or weeding, it was hard to resist being pulled in.       

What sets you on fire?  

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Jim; If I'd closed this post asking "What makes you vomit?" vs. the question I did pose, your response would have won today's prize. Thanks for the laugh, even if it did stick in my throat.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ines; I would have guessed that. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. My passion is native plants! We're on a mission to re-create native habitat for birds, butterflies, bees and other insects one backyard at a time. Come join us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim; I would have guessed that as well. Thanks for the comment and the nice day with all you plant nerds.

      Delete