About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, July 10, 2017

The Age Of Miracles

Sometimes a well told story is enough.

Author Karen Thompson Walker constructs her 2012 coming of age tale - "The Age Of Miracles" - on an intriguing premise -  the earth's rotation begins slowing soon after Julia starts 6th grade. As school recesses the following summer, the days are seventy two hours long.

Using Julia's authentic and unmistakably adolescent voice, Walkers builds a tender story onto her dystopian foundation. Her solid debut novel is bleak but never immobilizing  - " ' I bet things turn out OK'  I said, gripped by an urge to say some cheerful thing - it rose up from my throat like a cough. ' I bet it will be fine'."  As Julia and everyone around her tries adjusting to the "new normal", this young and talented author uses her central conceit to reflect on the remarkable resilience of the human race, all while skillfully balancing the cataclysmic and the quotidian. "Meanwhile , the oceans are shifting, the Gulf Stream was slowing, and Gabby shaved her head."

I took very few notes reading this book. The prose is sturdy, but the story and Julia's voice were far too compelling to leave. What was your last reading experience like that?

2 comments:

  1. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. For some reason I'm dream to these dystopian novels. This was written in the 40's I believe and speaks of 1985 as this future world where the world has become so destroyed few women can bear children. Those who can are subjugated to perform as "hosts" for approved men. As an audible book it's read by Claire Danes who does a fabulous job. I must say, I was inspired to listen to the book after watching the Hulu series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn; So good to see a comment from you. I agree that "The Handmaid's Tale" was one of those incredibly compelling books. And Clare Danes reading it must have been a treat! Look forward to seeing you more here on the bell curve.

      Delete