About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, October 11, 2021

Who Deserves A Holiday?

As someone who received his public school education in the 50s and early 60s, was raised by working-class parents with predictably traditional politics, and grew up with no exposure to and limited knowledge of Native Americans, Columbus Day has long been a holiday I've taken for granted. With no Italian ancestry in my family, we did not formally celebrate the day but still, I knew a few things: Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492, there was no school, big parades were held in NYC and nearby Newark, NJ. 

Growing into my adult years, I came to better appreciate the importance of the day to Italian-Americans though I didn't recall my childhood friends with that cultural background making a big deal about it at the time. Could easily be a gap in my young memory or maybe their celebrations were more private family affairs. By this time, I'd grown to respect the need of people to have pride in their forebears.   

And so it went for me until I read James Loewen's Lies My Teacher Told Me (1995) about ten years ago. I strongly encourage you to pick up this scrupulously researched text and tell me what shifts for you when considering Columbus's complex legacy. If he deserves a national holiday - a notion I support - I would submit it's fair to consider giving a similar honor to others, even if we don't close the post offices or libraries on that day. Where to draw the line? After reading Loewen's book, you tell me. Based on what is in his persuasive text, I'd start with honoring one prominent Native American. If not that, then how about ..

Reflections From The Bell Curve: John Brown Day


4 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I too had similar experiences around Columbus Day growing up. I never paid much attention to it until recent years. My calendar now lists both Columbus Day and Indigenous Peoples' Day for yesterday. So I believe some progress has been made in terms of acknowledgement...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks (as always) for commenting and, in this case, endorsing the idea that more acknowledgment of under-represented groups - via holidays or otherwise - is overdue.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Pat. I remember Columbus being a big deal while being in elementary school - both in NY and NJ. It's difficult to ignore the many things that have been said about Columbus, as well as the many other historical figures. Statutes being taken down, names of sports teams being changed, more attention to greater understanding of the times that were as well as the times we live in. With so much being said, so many questions, so many different interpretations of what is said, I find that I am unsure if Columbus still deserves a holiday. Why limit it to just Columbus? Make it Italian/American Day. I agree that we should also consider giving a holiday to celebrate the accomplishments of people from other backgrounds, other nationalities and other countries. There are so many current (insert name of Country/People here) 'Days' with parades and celebrations, that changing Columbus Day to Italian/American Day would, to me, better serve the meaning of the celebration. And, while we're on the subject, change 'Indigenous Peoples Day' to another day of the year. They deserve that.
    I have no doubt that this debate will continue for some time. But as long as the discussions are honest and purposeful they may actually result in the changes we're looking for. I know I can be naive', but I also believe it's possible.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the thoughtful and comprehensive comment. I'm pleased you & I see eye-to-eye on the need to be more inclusive when considering who to honor with holidays. As far as being "naive", I've often thought of that as a word cynical and/or mean-spirited people like to aim at those of us who still believe the world can become a more humane place if we take the time to try to walk in the shoes of others. So, I've never been offended when one of those people have tossed "naive" at me in a vain attempt to enlist in me in their reflexive cynicism.

      Delete