About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, October 16, 2023

Flavors of Worthwhile Literature

Despite the risk of being labeled a snob, I submit there is such a thing as worthwhile literature. And though I believe I'm far from alone asserting this, I do not expect anyone to publicly align themselves with my premise. Consequently, even though I always welcome comments, I won't be disappointed or surprised if today's reflection is met with silence by those who agree with my opening premise or what follows. At the same time, I sincerely welcome hearing from readers who disagree. 

All of us who read books widely and regularly - fiction or non-fiction, subject and/or size aside - do so for a variety of reasons. But whether we bookworms read to be entertained, educated, elevated, or something else, few, if any, of us want to waste precious time with bad prose. Snobs like me - and most of my reading brethren, even those who remain silent today - know what bad prose looks like. We may differ on how bad the prose is but, we agree that bad prose and worthwhile literature are, by definition, mutually exclusive. After a lifetime of dedicated reading, I recently decided worthwhile literature comes in three distinct flavors:

The casual: Books that do not tackle "serious" subjects - fiction or non-fiction - can be just as worthwhile - or more so - as books that do. Humorous, whimsical, and speculative books occupy an important place in literature. Authors who aim to engage readers in a casual fashion frequently have a lot more on their minds than the surface sheen of their work might at first indicate. In other words, there is such a thing as a "beach read" that is well written and worthy of a discerning reader's time.  

The in-between: Worthwhile literature in this flavor may or may not be about a "serious" subject but authors working this territory are not as casual or matter-of-fact. If they use humor it's more targeted and some of the literary techniques they use often prod readers to pay closer attention. When a technique reveals the presence of the author, bookworms will often disagree on how worthwhile the book is. But if the prose is solid, the difference here is between bookworms who value storytelling vs. those who don't object to occasionally suspending storytelling in favor of being educated or elevated.  

The intense: On the other end of the flavor spectrum is worthwhile literature that cannot be read casually. Most of the time, the serious subject matter or message in this flavor demands a reader's attention. This flavor doesn't aim at diverting or entertaining  a reader, like the casual often does and the in-between sometimes does. Intense books with bad prose are just as common as those with a casual or in-between flavor. Serious subject matter does not give an author a pass to avoid working at their craft. Tired writing, cliches, and strained metaphors are inexcusable in all flavors. 

I'm prepared to provide examples of worthwhile literature in all three flavors on request. I'd much prefer hearing your nominations for any or all flavors. Objections to my premise and what follows are equally welcome. Readers only, please.        

9 comments:

  1. This is a long overdue post. Now, you need to define "bad prose".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; I began my definition of bad prose in the last sentence of the "intense" flavor paragraph = tired writing, cliches (e.g. "tried and true", etc.), strained metaphors. A few additional examples would include contrived romances, uni-dimensional characters (hack authors are notably bad making their villains at all believable), and heroes who are predictably progressive and/or had parents who were "ahead of the curve" with things like racial matters. I've got more examples so if you read this just let me know if you'd like more.

      Delete
  2. I am requesting examples of worthwhile literature in all three flavors, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Happy to comply; thanks for asking. Casual = "Standard Deviation" by Katherine Heiny; in-between = "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" by Michael Chabon; intense = "Survival in Auschwitz" by Primo Levi.

      Delete
  3. I recently finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - I think it is a wonderful example of the "In-Between" because it is very smart and requires the reader's attention, but is written with humor and a fresh subject and viewpoint. It is diverting and entertaining, but demands close reading and deals with a serious subject at the same time as it explores the history of comic books. Maybe on second thought it belongs in the Intense category. Or is uncategorizable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim; I'll resist the urge to say "great minds think alike" but feel obliged to note that we both picked the same book as an "in-between" flavor. (See my response directly above to Ines's request/comment). No doubt this has something to do with the fact that we both read "...Kavalier..." fairly recently and then had that good discussion about it just a few weeks back with your two friends. I love these coincidences.

      Delete
  4. Good morning, Pat. I'm also always interested in recommendations of what to read next - as I believe you re aware - lol. Lately my reading has become somewhat eclectic as I'm shuffled from Historical Fiction - mostly as a result of some Lifelong Learning classes on British History - biographies and, the always favorite, fiction novels. But, again, I'm always open to new ideas with he challenge being finding the time to read them all.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Oh, how well I get that whole "challenge" thing; yikes. In the meanwhile, if you happen to read this response and would like one from each flavor - as requested by Ines (above) - I'm happy to accommodate with three different titles. On the other hand, if your list/pile is getting unmanageable, I get it.

      Delete
    2. Always interested in new recommendations, Pat. Thanks

      Delete