No matter what kind of day or week I'm having, each time I see a streetside lemonade stand being run by a group of children, my heart fills with optimism. How can anyone resist being touched by those handmade signs? How about the way the kids beckon cars and cyclists for business by waving or sometimes even shouting? For me, this kind of innocence is infectious. Even when I'm running late or not thirsty, I try to pull over. Almost always, while doing business with them, I'm beguiled by these young entrepreneurs. And I drive or ride away smiling.
My sisters and I had more than one streetside lemonade stand when we were kids. My daughter set one up right in front of our first house when she was in third or fourth grade. Her business partners were some of the kids from the neighborhood. When some kids across the street from my current home began setting up their stand recently - with the same kind of folding table you see almost every time - I began re-living both my own experiences and my daughter's. It felt wonderfully familiar and reassuring. I purposefully avoided listening to the news that day.

It IS absolutely vital that focusing on what brings us joy and hope in a way helps the world! Focusing on the good is just as much a choice as focusing on the bad in the world. Both good and bad will always exist, it’s human nature and the course of events. But Pat, I’ll be honest, a blog like this, writing, reading, watching cat videos, et al., has lifted me! I can’t not pay attention to the events of the world but they thankfully take a backseat to what makes my life meaningful in the now! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! The lemons are the Bell Curve, the ability to read amazing works (Goodbye, Columbus right now for me; very good so far) being able to write, to share, to learn! It’s food for the soul, and always fends off the pangs of hunger and the stomachaches that are the bad in the world.
ReplyDeleteAnd honestly, had any of us not gone into the community, find people and similar interests, the air would be as foggy and smoky as it is right now (metaphorically/literally) Great post and question as always, one I couldn’t just ignore; and so much can be said from a simple question like this! Keep making lemonade and resist the heartburn!
Daniel; Thanks for your heartfelt comment. As long as you keep learning and remember to return to the "now" when things get difficult, I'm confident you'll continue to discover many things to make lemonade with. The fact that my blog occupies a spot on your current radar is gratifying; thanks also for that. BTW, Goodbye Columbus is a good entree to the work of Philip Roth. Although his work is sometimes dense and challenging, he is worth the effort. My personal favorite - "Human Stain".
DeleteLove this post. What brings me hope is the growth of the native plant movement. People really do care about the environment and wildlife.
ReplyDeleteSweetheart; Thanks for the comment, especially since we were together when this post began taking shape.
DeleteLoved the Lemonade blog! It warmed my heart and brought me back as well, to when I was a kid and pitched my stand (first signs of my entrepreneurial spirit). I did it solo, I'm sure my Mom prepared the lemonade as I believe I was five. Don't remember much, except the pride I had in "running my own business". Thx for giving me the opportunity to immerse myself in the memory. I'll try tomorrow to carry it with me and not dwell on the negative today.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous; If this post helped you "...immerse yourself (sic) in the memory ...", I'm confident other readers found themselves in their memories as well. This makes me happy and is, indeed, one of the main objectives for my reflections. So, thanks for the comment.
DeleteThis brought a smile to my face. I love the juxtaposition of all the negativity around us with lemonade stands. Not to mention the saying about when life gives you lemons make lemonade. It also brought back memories of my daughter and the son of a neighbor selling zucchinis one summer. We had a community garden that grew baseball bat sized zucchinis in abundance. What really made me laugh was that my daughter thought she should get all the proceeds because the boy was earning money as a child voice on radio commercials. Needless to say I had to explain some things to her. LOL! It was a learning moment....
ReplyDeleteInes; Thanks for the comment as well as the anecdote about the baseball bat size zucchinis. BTW, I'm with your daughter, learning moment aside.
Delete