How routinely do you pay close attention to the amount of airtime you use when conversing with others?
Having an honest and caring partner gives me a clear advantage in the conversational sweepstakes. When I've taken up more than my share of airtime, I can rely on her to subtly redirect a conversation, sometimes by asking a question of the glass-eyed person who's been listening to me ramble, other times via some unmistakable signal she makes to indicate I've gone on way too long.
OK, so maybe her re-directing is not always all that subtle. No matter; the end result is the same, i.e., I stop talking as much and begin listening better. And even if I'm defensive in the moment I'm being conversationally tuned up, I'm usually grateful later when re-playing my jabbering in my head. When I'm listening to someone who appears clueless about the amount of airtime they're using? Glad you asked.
It was difficult to tune out a distinctly one-sided conversation going on directly behind me on a hike earlier today. After almost thirty minutes listening to what was essentially a monologue, a judgy, ungracious blog post began taking shape in the mind of judgy, ungracious Pat. Then, to my surprise, as the rest of my day unfolded, my clear advantage in the conversational sweepstakes kept returning to me. Some twelve hours later, a less judgy and marginally more gracious post formed as I reflected on a few things.
How fortunate am I having someone who loves me enough to assist me in improving this critically important skill? Isn't it unfortunate that some people have no such person in their life to assist them? Will I remember to ask myself these questions the next time I'm being tuned up or the next time I'm listening to someone using all the airtime? Stay tuned.

Alternate blog title: My wife told me to shut up!
ReplyDeleteAnonymous; Thanks for the comment.
DeleteI resemble this remark! I wish I had a something like a social GPS telling me to exit right instead of barreling along as I regrettably do.
ReplyDeleteRegina; Thanks for the comment. I love the "social GPS" metaphor! If I end up using it in a future blog post or otherwise (aka stealing it), I'll remember to give you a shoutout; very apt.
Delete