About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, December 8, 2022

Music's Role in Life

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Let's Talk ..

Let's Talk... - a conversational salon I moderate at my local library - celebrated its first anniversary early last month. Since November 2021, I've led discussions on film noir, moral courage, memoirs, living with intention, social media, and joy for a group of interested and interesting people. Each of these conversations have enriched my life. 

To kick off 2023, my next Let's Talk... is on music's role in life, a topic that any reader of this blog will know is like oxygen to me. And though I've not previously solicited your help for this endeavor, it's quite possible one or more of you could offer a pertinent insight about this subject that I might be able to use in some fashion to ignite or propel January's conversation.

What specific musical experience most recently touched you in a profound way?

Please use that question as a way to frame the way music has had a role in your life. Your comment or answer can be any length. If it's helpful to you, use my next paragraph - describing my most recent experience - as a way to get started. Or not. But please strongly consider helping me. Thank you in advance for the assistance you will give me to enrich the next Let's Talk... salon. 


While driving a few weeks back, Poco's well known song - In the Heart of the Night - began playing on the radio. Although I've probably heard this song hundreds of times since its late 70s release, I had never carefully listened to the rhyme scheme of Paul Cotton's well-crafted and touching lyric. Those lyrics brought me close to tears and then, the majestic sax solo began. I was forced to pull over as a wave of emotion washed over me. After composing myself, I started to re-live similar moments of musical rapture that have occurred throughout my life, beginning when I was a teenager and first heard the brief drum break in He's So Fine. Hearing that Poco song anew transported me back through more than six solid decades of total immersion in the most ancient of arts.  

6 comments:

  1. Mine was probably seeing Hamilton on Broadway, I had always underestimated rap as a genre, but something about seeing this show changed my opinion. The energy and emotion conveyed by the lyrics and beat were unmatched for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous: Thanks for the comment. Though I haven't yet seen Hamilton, I'm looking forward to doing so.

      Delete
  2. Good afternoon, Pat. There are so many examples that I could offer and, to be honest, each of them would suffice, although not all are recent. I could offer two songs that, interestingly enough, I heard on the radio today - In A Gadda Da Vida and MacArther Park (insert rolling eyes here) but, and more direct to what you're asking, I absolutely get lost in 'Close To The Edge' by Yes. It never fails to take me back to the mid 1970's, Holmdel Park with my friends, sitting under the big tree in the middle of the large field (sadly the tree is long gone) and enjoying the day and the music. 'Close To The Edge' has a special place in my heart and mind and takes me back to such wonder times.
    Oh .. and Hamilton is wonderful !!
    Be well,
    Bob






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Even though your example isn't recent, thanks for commenting. I used "recent" in my question only because that frequently helps people recall an instance. Your example sounds to me like a high school or college memory, a time in life when music generally makes the most long-lasting impact on us. I am fortunate enough to have these moments regularly like that recent day when "In the Heart of the Night" came on as I was driving. I was literally transported through six decades, just as I mentioned in the post. That feeling is such a gift.

      Delete
  3. Dancing at my wedding with my mother to a song she sang to me as a child. The personal connection to that song will never be forgotten by me and no matter where I am, if I hear it I think of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Thanks for the comment. What a great example this is of the power of music.

      Delete