About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, December 22, 2022

Reading Re-Cap: 2022

What were some of your reading highlights in 2022? Use my headings below - developed in 2018 at the inception of this series and used every year since - or make up your own. Either way, I'm interested and some of my readers will probably be as well. Please share your reading wealth.

Novel most likely to be recommended to casual readers:  The People We Keep: Allison Larkin. As mentioned in all four previous iterations of this annual series, my use of the word "casual" is not meant in any way to demean this engaging, well-written novel. Although I am clearly not the demographic the talented author was aiming for in her 2021 coming-of-age tale, she had me from the start and her heroine is a memorable one. 

Novel most likely to be recommended to discerning readers:  Candy House: Jennifer Egan. Nothing resembles competition for this heading when put up against Egan's 2022 tour-de-force. If you loved A Visit from the Goon Squad as much as me, you'll thank me for directing you to this companion.

Novel and non-fiction book that most deepened my experience of living: The Housekeeper and the Professor (2003) - Yoko Ogawa and The New Jim Crow (2010) - Michelle Alexander.

Most worthwhile re-read: Midnight Sun (2015) - Jo Nesbo.

Most intriguing: Seven Brief Lessons in Physics (2014) - Carlo Ravelli. Yes, I was out of my depth but what good is reading as much as I do if I'm never going to challenge myself?

Most personally useful: The Seven Sins of Memory (2001) - Daniel Schacter. Not an easy read, and not an elegantly written book, but Schacter's framework is a reassuring antidote for anyone who worries about "senior moments", age aside.          

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see my book made the cut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday gift! Even better, thanks for knowing me well enough to know I'd enjoy this book.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Pat and Happy Holidays to you and your family. Not to much to add to todays post, except to say that I thoroughly enjoyed 'Candy House'. Your recommendation was spot on for this great work. I have 'A Visit From The Goon Squad' lined up and will get to it as soon as I can. Right not there are at least 3 ahead of it, but I am looking forward to reading it.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Happy holidays to you and your family. Big thanks for taking the time to post a comment on Christmas Day. I'm SO pleased "Candy House" spoke to you. Given your reaction to the later book, I can't recommend enough its predecessor, i.e., "A Visit from the Goon Squad". When you get to that earlier one, be sure to let me know what you think.

      Delete