About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, December 15, 2023

Best of the Best

I'm grateful for many gifts in my post full-time work life. Among the most consistently satisfying of those gifts has been the opportunity I've had to share my passion about music with others via the twenty courses I've developed and delivered beginning in 2014. 

Not long ago I landed on a new course concept to commemorate my tenth teaching anniversary. Ever since, barely an hour has gone by without a deranged pinball pinging from song to song in my brain, overstuffed as it is with music. Partially as a consequence of this brain fever, I've decided to break precedent for this course and solicit help from the bell curve before I begin an early step in my long-standing development process, i.e., listing songs I may or may not end up using for my final playlist. Are you ready to assist me even before the announcement of this maiden voyage? 

The course will be called Best of the Best: Essential or Influential Songs from Essential or Influential Recording Artists of the 20th Century. What I'd like from you are songs you think most neatly fit that concept. And please tell me - briefly - the reason(s) for your choices. Because I'm already well into the list of 20th century recording artists I'll likely be featuring, please avoid focusing on who you would select as essential or influential and instead give me essential or influential songs. But consider this: I plan to cross musical genres liberally as my final playlist takes shape so give me what you think are essential or influential songs from the genre you most favor. That is, if you're more of a fan of what is typically called "folk" music than you are of "jazz", give me your "best of the best" folk songs.  

Compensation for your role as a bell curve consultant will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.  

6 comments:

  1. I'm saying it before anyone else weighs in: Imagine. And Blowin' In the Wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim; Thanks for being my first consultant out of the gate, especially given the two good suggestions you made.

      Delete
  2. When I think of music, artists and/or bands are influential for their body of work, songs are essential or memorable becuase of the message, emotion, event or memory that they remind or inspire in us. Some of my essential songs that come to mind and the reasons why are:

    "Born to Run" Bruce Springsteen - Teenage angst and wanting to move on get to a better place.

    "What a Wonderful World" Louis Armstrong - A song of hope and living life.

    "Hallelujah" Leoard Cohen or Jeff Buckley - Understanding love and loss.

    "Margaritaville" Jimmy Buffet - relaxation, excapism and living a carefree life.

    "Rhinestone Cowboy" Glen Cambell - Struggles as you reach for your dreams.

    "All By Myself" Eric Carmen - Loneliness and heartbreak when you lose someone.

    "School's Out" Alice Cooper - Rebelion and Freedom.

    "My Generation" The Who - Growing up and finding a place in society.

    "Rock Around the Clock" Bill Haley and His Comets - Rock and Roll is here to stay.

    "Thanks for the Memory" Bob Hope - Graditude for all the time spent together with a loved one.

    "Imagine" John Lennon - Again a song similar to "What a Wonderful World" about hope, peace and living your best life.

    "American Pie" Don McLean - About nostalgia and youthful innocence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris; Great list and persuasive reasons for the inclusion of each song based on your sense what the word influential connotes. Thanks for the time and thought you put into this; I expect nothing less from you.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Pat. I think we need to give Chris his own column. He's very good. And Kim has also made some great choices. I'll add a couple:
    1. We Shall Overcome - Pete Seeger (also Joan Baez does a wonderful version) - Just an overwhelming encouraging song
    2. Strange Fruit - Abel Meeropol (I have to admit I had to look up the writer but I was already aware of these two versions. I love it sung by Billie Holiday or Nina Simone) - the fact that it was banned at one time makes it necessary to be included on the list.
    3. Superstition - Stevie Wonder - Such a vivid image he creates
    4. Respect - Aretha Franklin - Well, it's Aretha. But I also bet you sang it in your head when you read the title
    Be well,
    Bob


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Nice list and solid reasons for the selections. Given you could be in this class on its maiden voyage, if I end up using one of your ideas, I'll be sure to credit your input.

      Delete