About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, January 25, 2024

A Decade of Crabbing

Given my disappointment with two of the blockbusters that have just received Oscar nominations, my crankiness about these over-hyped marquee films seems an ideal way to mark the first appearance of your favorite crab ten years ago. 

Reflections From The Bell Curve: A Crab Out Of Water 

Since 1/26/14, I've allowed my cantankerous coot - or a close crabby relative - to roam the bell curve on about twenty occasions. Several of those posts were aimed at a favorite easy target = technology. Not today. Instead, this cranky codger wants to know: Which of you on the bell curve has seen Maestro and Killers of the Flower Moon? If you haven't, stop reading and return here following the seven hours required to see both. Caveat emptor.   

If you have seen both, tell me this: In your view, are either of these two widely praised films deserving of the Oscar nominations they got? If your answer is no, you're aligned with this curmudgeon, a crank that even infrequent readers know is an indiscriminate movie junkie, a music devotee, and a Martin Scorsese fan. All that aside, if your answer is yes to my previous question, I have one favor to ask of you. Please refrain from recommending films to me. Thanks in advance. 

p.s. The eponymous David Grann book upon which Scorsese built his mess of a movie - the latter of the two above - is an extraordinary piece of non -fiction. It will take longer than three and one-half hours to read but you'll thank me, I think.  

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Such A Life

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Pat. I'm about to start reading 'Killers of the Flower Moon'. Not sure I want to see the film before I read it but that may be the order as my curiosity is piqued. I'll let you know way Oi think of each.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Will be curious to hear your reaction to book and film. Let's be sure to talk about both offline, OK?

      Delete