About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, January 1, 2024

Stop - Start - Continue: 2024

What is one thing you plan to stop doing as the new year begins? One thing you plan to start doing? Something you'll continue doing?

Each New Year's Day since 2012, I've asked you to join me in this exercise. And it's been gratifying to hear from more than a few of you that the stop - start - continue model has been helpful. In my experience, doing this instead of making a single new year's resolution increases the likelihood of sustainable success. In particular, the continue piece is affirming because - as each new year begins - I'm reminding myself of a new or longstanding practice I've already integrated into my life that has been beneficial. 

In 2024, I will stop adding any new writing vessels into my life. Juggling these vessels has started to get a little out of hand.     

In 2024, I will start taking guitar lessons with a local jazz guitarist I met in 2023. 

In 2024, I will continue the regimen established with my start pledge of 2022, i.e., consistently exercising four days a week. 

Avoid getting bogged down if you struggle coming up with a stop, start, and a continue for 2024. Instead, do just two of the three. Or, at minimum, take a moment and tell me and others just what you plan to continue. What's the downside to simply congratulating yourself for a past success as a new year begins? 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Pat and Happy New Year!! I’ve tried previously to make my comments on your ‘Start’, ‘Stop’, ‘Continue’ posts less like resolutions and more in response to what you’ve posted. Let’s see how I do this time.
    Stop: I will stop adding to lists and concentrate on what is on my lists
    Start: I will do what I started to do and work towards an end..whatever that is, if there is one. Because in some cases there is always more to learn
    Continue: To try to grow. I turn 67 on the first fortnight of 2024 and know that there is still so much more that I would like to do, accomplish, see, etc.
    Let’s see how this goes … lol
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; I'm pleased you've found this model to be useful and also that you're being "public" about these three pledges. Good luck - I like your "continue" - very positive.

      Delete