About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, July 10, 2024

The Gloves Are Off

Over thirteen years and almost 2400 blog posts, I've exercised superhuman restraint with respect to how often I've bragged here about my daughter's professional accomplishments. Today the gloves are off. Feel free to tune out right now if two short paragraphs of effusive gushing about her strikes you as unseemly. But before doing so, ask yourself these questions: Have you ever met a parent who wasn't proud of their kids? Would you want anything to do with such a parent?

As much as her move to Los Angeles last July pained me, it appears that my daughter's professional instinct about the need to be closer to the epicenter of show business - her chosen field since the 5th grade - was wise. Damn it, anyway. In less than a year, her career as a writer and director has rocketed to a new level. Aside from two feature-length films in development, including one she created and co-wrote with her writing/directing partner, her current contracted gig represents the culmination of more than ten years of hard work trying to break through in the wacky industry she chose. 

My daughter and her partner - collectively called BONABART- are presently part of a team of seven in what's called a writer's room, all of them at work on a TV series that features two marquee actors. I'd name the actors but my daughter wouldn't be happy with me publicly crossing that line until after the series has its debut. All the better: You'll have to check back in for my next round of gushing. 

ALISON BARTON (hialisonbarton.com)


10 comments:

  1. Ines; Thanks for supporting my gushing; you're a pal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gush on, Pat. Congratulations to Alison. With two daughters in the biz, I know all too well what a crazy world it is. Exciting, glamorous, back-stabbing, perpetually frustrating, and every once in a while, lucrative. It will be fun to follow her career. One thing for certain, she has a much better shot at having long-term success working behind the camera than in front of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Thanks for the comment and for indulging my bragging.

      Delete
    2. Pat and Kim, couldn't be happier to hear you gush about Alison!! She is remarkable! I've tried to follow some of her career!! My little carrot has done well!! Love you all!!

      Delete
    3. "Anonymous"; Thanks for the comment and nice words. I must admit you have me intrigued as to your identity given the infant nickname "...little carrot...", used in your comment.

      Delete
    4. LaLa; When I shared your original comment with Kim, she guessed it might be you. I had no idea you ever read my blog all these years later, although I do recall early on (circa 2011) a comment or two from you. We've missed seeing you all these years and would welcome re-initiating contact if you were up for that. Meanwhile, thanks for the words of support for "little carrot". I'll be sure to tell her you've tried to sometimes keep up with her work; she'll be thrilled.

      Delete
    5. Hey, I'm not on FB that much but when I am, if I see your blog I do read it!! Always interesting topics! I have no idea as to why my posts to you are coming up anonymous.
      Maybe I hit something by accident!?! We don't get out too much these days but if we end up in your area we'll definitely give you a call. Say hi to all! Lots of love!! ❤️

      Delete
  3. Hello, Pat. As any (or most) parents would and should be, you have every right to be proud of your daughter. And especially with her accomplishments. I know I'm very proud of my son and daughter. If I may offer a small word of advice now that the gloves are off - leave them off!! Be a proud dad - soon to be grandpa.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment. And thanks for the "permission" to keep the gloves off.

      Delete