About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, August 1, 2024

Scuttling Saint James Day

Every August 1 since 2012 I have proposed here the establishment of a new national holiday in a valiant attempt to rescue August from its barren state. Alas, though all my holiday proposals have been brilliant - Hallmark has a line of cards ready for each - not one has gotten enough richly deserved notice. This indignity is hard to bear in light of the massive reach of my blog. The hoi-polloi can be so fickle. How much can one holiday-inventing genius stand? 

This year, I gave serious thought to proposing August 1 be heretofore declared Saint James Day - honoring my middle name - a superbly logical suggestion given the March holiday that already venerates my first. I know there is guaranteed support for this superlative notion, given the number of people sharing my noble middle moniker as a first, middle, or even last name, e.g., Henry and William - rest their souls - and LeBron. Imagine the cheering throngs. Who knows? Perhaps initiating a Saint James Day movement could have acted as an entree for my blog to finally win over reluctant sports fans who have yet to join the bell curve minions. 

In the end, I concluded that proposing Saint James Day - inspired as it is - crosses an egotistical bridge too far for even this breathtaking mastermind. Instead, I decided that providing the links below for a few of my outstanding earlier proposals is a reasonable compromise. Anyone who wishes to be further dazzled just say the word and I'll forward the remaining nine to you. Resist the temptation to steal my ideas; remember the Hallmark deal.

Reflections From The Bell Curve: August 1, 2014: National Book Day

Reflections From The Bell Curve: National Immigrant Day

Reflections From The Bell Curve: National Gratitude Day


4 comments:

  1. LOL! My son-in-law and grandson are named James so I would be OK with a Saint James Day even though they go by big Jake and little Jake:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Make sure to tell your son-in-law and grandson what illustrious company they're in and of my idea for this holiday, even if I did end up scuttling it.

      Delete
  2. Hey Pat .. as I've commented previously, August is way overdue for a holiday, especially a National Holiday. You still have my vote for Saint James Day - Despite the fact that you're scuttling it - lol
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous" Bob; Thanks for all your comments today. I may re-consider Saint James Day, especially if those big donations start arriving.

      Delete