About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, August 20, 2020

#59: The Mt. Rushmore Series

With Covid-19 sidelining opportunities to teach music classes at local colleges, the mix tapes playing in my head have fewer outlets this year. By participating in this latest iteration of my most venerable series, you can help me get the volume of those tapes under control. Please?

Which four one-off vocal duets would you enshrine on your Mt. Rushmore? A few guidelines:
* Both vocalists must sing some melody, i.e. no fair using Paul Simon & Linda Ronstadt on Under African Skies; Linda sings harmony only.
* But, the two must harmonize at at least one point, i.e. Dr. John and Rickie Lee Jones on Making Whoopee doesn't qualify because they simply trade melodic lines. There's a lot of that nonsense on both the Frank Sinatra & Ray Charles duets recordings - cheating, in my opinion.
* Last, all four of your choices must be one-off deals, i.e. no Linda & Aaron Neville duets - they sang several songs together. I've listed my four alphabetically by song, but put yours in whatever order you like. Oh yeah, almost forgot: Both people have to have been alive at the time; sorry, Natalie & Nat.

 1.) I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me): George Michael & Aretha Franklin: Although I was never a big George Michael fan, having the musical sense to team up once with Aretha almost converted me, especially given this great pop song.

2.) It's Only Love: Bryan Adams & Tina Turner: Start with a power chord intro as pulverizing as early Kinks songs, add Tina Turner in the second stanza, then have Bryan & Tina harmonize in that crushing middle eight - 4:00+ of pure rock n' roll adrenaline.

3.) (I've Had) The Time of My Life: Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes: I know - the movie is so cheesy you have to check your cholesterol level after watching it. But anyone who doesn't get goose bumps as soon as Bill Medley starts this tune is probably not paying attention. And Jennifer Warnes takes it up another level. (Recall she rescued Joe Cocker's ass on their one-off duet - Up Where We Belong - a weaker song from an even cheesier movie.) Be sure to look for the extended version of this tune.

4.) Leather and Lace: Stevie Nicks & Don Henley: I'm even less a fan of Stevie Nicks than I am of George Michael but once again, it's all about the company you keep, even if just once. First Henley hides in the refrain, singing the harmony above Nicks. But when he takes the melody in that second stanza, the effect is as stunning as Bill Medley's opening. Henley elevates both Nicks and the song.

OK, what's on your mountain? I feel compelled just this once to award an honorable mention for the one-off version of George Harrison's Something that Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney did in the Harrison tribute film. If you've never seen or heard that, you owe it to yourself to do so at least once. Trust me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-BNTeJXjw

2 comments:

  1. 1. Stevie Nicks/Tom Petty - Stop Dragging My Heart Around. Following in your Nicks/Henley suggestion. I like Stevie Nicks, but there is some strain in saying it. Not sure why, but I’ve never been a big fan. I like some of her music - solo and with Fleetwood Mac (again, not a big fan, either) but I really do like Tom Petty. Sad for all the music that could have been.
    2. Empire State of Mind - Jay Z and Alicia Keys. Ok, why is a soon to be mid-60’s man including this ? Well, first I like the song - the main part of it. Next, I really like Alicia Keys. Very talented. And last, I find the way this was done to be original and catchy. It’s fun.
    3. Wild Night - John Mellencamp and Me’Shell Ndegeocello - ok, yes, I had to look up how to spell her name - lol. Good song, well done ... a lot of fun. Although I did read that they didn’t get along while recording it. Always curious why they would work together but someone must have thought it was a good idea. And it does work.
    4. Easy Lover - Phil Collins and Philip Bailey. Ok .. it’s corny. But I love Earth, Wind and Fire. Phil Collins is good. But I was always a bigger fan of the Peter Gabriel ‘Genesis’. But the the song is catchy, good harmonies.

    So, all in all, good songs and you can (sometimes) dance to them ... Ahhh ... where is American Bandstand ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous; Not only is yours one of the most comprehensive Mt. Rushmores I've ever gotten, it is noteworthy for two other reasons: 1.) All four choices adhere to my (admittedly arbitrary) guidelines; and... 2.) You have a slightly less arthritic selection, given the Jay Z/Alicia Keys duet. And last, the other three you picked (I'm pathetically unfamiliar with the Jay/Alicia) are all worthwhile choices. I, like you, am not a big Phil Collins fan but once again, he had the good sense here to team up with someone (Phil Bailey) who could up his game so good for him. Not a bad song, either. Thanks for reminding me of both that one and the wonderful John Mellencamp/Me'Shell rave-up on the Van Morrison tune.

    ReplyDelete