About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, September 20, 2020

The Social Dilemma

https://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2018/12/technology-and-children.html 

Although I've ranted here before about the pernicious side-effects of technology - and more specifically, social media - watching The Social Dilemma recently brought me to a new low. If you're easily depressed, or a Luddite, or already convinced, as I am, that these "tools" are wreaking havoc on modern life and tearing apart our already tenuous social fabric, you may find yourself temporarily immobilized after this Netflix film. 

Now, lest anyone accuse me of being obtuse, I am cognizant that a blogger prattling on about technology is, how to say it? Hypocritical sounds about right. So, if any of you take the time to watch this sinister film and then decide to abandon reading me, I'll understand. But perhaps, a middle ground would be to watch it, continue reading me - I am kind of charming in an opportunistic, solipsistic way - and then quietly evangelize to convince others to also watch The Social Dilemma

Who knows? Maybe a few of us will start a movement leading people to eat together without their phones, face up and buzzing, right next to the silverware.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Here's an example of an instance when I sincerely wish my blog had enough reach to actually start such a movement. Given the # of people who pay attention to my ramblings, we'd have to call it a "mov", at best. Maybe just a "mo". But a big thank you for your comment and willingness to sign on.

      Delete