About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Her Choices

Had I read American Baby: A Mother, A Child, and the Shadow History of Adoption soon after its 2021 publication, I'm sure I would have been moved. Gabrielle Glaser is a fine writer, thorough researcher, and she never gets in the way of the powerful, deeply personal story she tells in her excellent book. 

But with the overturning of Roe V. Wade still a fresh and raw wound, when I finished this book days ago, I was reeling. It has been difficult to escape a sense that "...the shadow history of adoption" Glaser skillfully reveals could soon be supplanted by a different shadow history as some ramifications of the Supreme Court's reversal begin to play out. Overnight, my daughter's choices have been narrowed.  

Further contributing to my unease were historical examples - many familiar to me - that Glaser cites. As one after the other of these examples demonstrated the coercive pressure women have faced when their choices have been narrowed, my daughter's future in the post Roe V. Wade landscape loomed large.

I sincerely hope my concern for my daughter's future is misplaced. I am worried.                 

6 comments:

  1. Pat — it’s a huge worry … I’ll also be checking out the book you cite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Thanks for the comment. "American Baby" is so worth your time. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. It is indeed a huge worry and a great disappointment. Stay tuned for more "legislation from the bench" restricting all sorts of choices people have fought for such as LBTGQ+ rights. It is scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment. I'm trying not to think too much about the next SCOTUS decisions.

      Delete
  3. Pat,
    Worry doesn't begin to describe the feeling. Too much is at stake and the crossroads we're currently facing are scary to say the least. I've not read this book (yet, as it definitely goes on my list now) but I see further concerns coming. As I'm sure you have read by now - and others have I'm sure as well - what's next? They've already made a mockery of concealed weapons. Next on the horizon - LGBTQ rights? Gay Marriage? This obviously politically motivated and conservative majority Supreme Court has already shown what they're made of and what their intentions are. I do find it somewhat ironic that prior to 1967 Justice Thomas and his wife would not have been able to be married legally. Has he conveniently forgotten the Supreme Court Decision of 'Loving vs. Virginia' ?
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Great point re "Loving V. Virginia"; irony indeed.

      Delete