About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, June 25, 2022

Your Assistance in Making Lightning Strike Twice

Even after over eleven continuous years of blogging, I remain unclear about how people will react to what I do here. For example:

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Walk On Water, Do You? Skip This Post

It's a complete mystery to me why that post - published in early 2017 - has been viewed more times than any other by a significant margin. If you read it and arrive at a plausible theory for its enduring popularity, please tell me here or offline. Subject line for your e-mail: How to Make Lightning Strike Twice, Dummy.

Reflections From The Bell Curve: #65: The Mt. Rushmore Series

That recent post got me started on this thread because it has the distinction of having the largest number of unique commenters to date. Why the response to this vs. the other 2100+ I've published? I mean, the Mt. Rushmore series has been running since July,2012 and many of the earlier iterations had wider appeal, I think. Not that what I think seems to mean a great deal when it comes to accurately gauging what will land with readers. I'll stoop to any level to replicate these flukes so please, tell me what you think.

I've tried inserting disingenuous key words - like Justin Bieber - into my titles. Though I have little interest in sports - as a spectator, at least - I've cravenly appealed even to curling fans. No pathetic attempt to grab even the puniest slice of the blogosphere is beneath me. Please lend a hand.      

3 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. After going back and reading the 'Walk on Water' post (2017 was before my commenting time) and re-reading the #65 Mount Rushmore post (I remember that one well) the popularity may be because they are about Music and Reading. Two pastimes that I believe few would have any objections with. Most people enjoy reading, or at least want to find more time to read. And I certainly don't need to tell this to you (lol). And music - well, who doesn't enjoy music - no matter what type you listen to. As to why these two particular posts generated the greatest number of responses as opposed to others that were also about reading and music well, I'm honestly not sure. But no matter. You enjoy writing them and there are a number of us that enjoy reading them and offering comments. So .. Just keep doing what you're doing. It's working just fine.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Thanks for giving this self-referential post some thought. The fact that the 2017 post was "about" books and the recent Mt. Rushmore "about" music may indeed have something to do with why the first has gotten over 5000 views and the latter had ten unique commenters (including yours truly.) But ... considering how many posts I've written about those two passions of mine - and how many of those got a lot less attention than these two - ...maybe not. That aside, I can say with some certainty which of my readers has made the most comments in the last two or so years - that would be you! Thanks (again) for three comments in one day and for your continuing support.

      Delete
    2. It has honestly been my pleasure, my friend. I enjoy reading your posts and I'm glad to be able to contribute in some small way.
      Be well ..
      Bob

      Delete