About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Only Fitting Word

Since early June I've spent nearly every Friday morning doing farmwork in Howell at a place called Celtic Charms. Celtic Charms specializes in therapeutic horseback riding for people with a wide range of disabilities. On occasion, I've also assisted the certified riding staff.

This past Friday a regular rider called to cancel his lesson because he was having a "...bad morning..."; I didn't give it much thought at the time. After I left the farm Friday, my wife and I spent the remainder of the day visiting a friend in a Philadelphia hospital. Saturday passed quietly; lots of reading, a little guitar, a visit to NYC to spend time with my daughter.

When I woke today, that rider's "...bad morning..." came back to me. Later in the a.m., I found myself recalling "...bad mornings..." my blind and visually impaired clients would describe to me during the years I worked at the Commission For The Blind. Soon after, I thought of my friend who has had several rough years and remains in the hospital until Tuesday. What I originally thought I'd blog about today now seems superficial. Perspective strikes me as the only word fitting today; a day that started with a good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment