About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

The Cost of Deception

After nearly twelve years of blogging, I've lost track of how many benefits this discipline has conferred on me. But foremost of those benefits has been the effect being public about my life has had on a lifelong habit of exaggerating accomplishments and embellishing experiences. Although I have no illusions about how much readers will recall of what I've published here since early 2011, putting myself out there over two thousand times has immeasurably helped me to curb that silly habit.   

And now that I've turned the corner on that habit, my reflections on the cost of deception have shifted a bit. The price I paid for self-deception? Embarrassment whenever I was called on an exaggeration or challenged about an embellished experience. But whenever I see, hear of, or read about damage that is the inevitable by-product of deceiving others, I'm perversely grateful my flaw was never of that stripe. I had enough trouble remembering what I'd said to others about me, let alone trying to cover up something I'd done and then come up with a story to tell others that I'd then have to remember and repeat when necessary. I'm certain that had I ever tried to cover up some intrigue, the people I care about would have had little trouble unravelling it. Deceiving others about an infidelity, hiding a gambling problem, covering up some financial chicanery? That is hard and thankless work.  

The distinction I'm aiming for here is probably connected to the process of forgiving myself for years of self-deception. I've often told myself that the only person who was hurt by my silly habit was me. Still, I'd welcome your thoughts on the cost of deception. Do some of us pay a steeper price than others? 


2 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. And thanks for a very thought provoking post. I'm sure the number of people who have embellished at one time or another is somewhat large and, to my mind, probably more innocent than not. After all, what is the harm in adding a little to your work experience while going for a promotion? To the person doing it, probably little. To the person, or persons, who lose out on that promotion it means a whole lot more. It's usually what side of the exaggeration/embellishment you find yourself;f on. I have strived to be as honest as I can be, but am also not naive' enough to say that I've not told a white lie or 2 in my life. I can't remember where I first heard this saying, and I'm not sure I have it worded exactly correct, but it is something I've tried to always remember - 'The Truth may not always be easy, but Liars need to have very good memories'.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; You're welcome; thanks for the comment. And even if you didn't get the wording of your closing quote exactly right, you captured its essence.

      Delete