About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, July 25, 2011

Good Old Days? Well....

Got one of those forwarded e-mails recently about all the things the sender misses from the "good old days". Here's just a few things I don't miss from those same good old days:

* Stepping in excrement a lot more before people were forced to clean up after their dogs
* Enduring smoke in restaurants, the hospital (!), anywhere
* Having a daughter (sister, mother,etc.) subjected to vile jokes in the workplace
* Purchasing a sub-par album for the one good song on it
* Waiting in longer lines at the bank (pre-ATM), supermarket (pre-barcodes), toll booths (pre-EZ pass)

Come on, tell the truth. You've got a list like this in your head. Suggestion: The next time you get one of those Paul Harvey or Golden Years or Good Old Days e-mails, share your list with the sender. Unless, you think that's too negative. In that case, just share it with me; I'm a little crabby today.   

1 comment:

  1. This is a great topic and one I think about often. The mind tends to rewrite history. It fades the blemishes, even deletes whole, unsavory chapters, while magnifying the good stuff. Life, though, is a process of moving forward, not back. We make progress. Things change, and the general direction has been for the better. I believe that as a society we are more enlightened than in the past, and in that way things are better. And, through innovation we have seen vast changes, again more improvements than not. I have also loved watching the arts evolve. New music forms and fusions especially. While I mostly choose to stick with genres that are familiar and comfortable to me, I recognize that things must move forward, and I am glad to see that going on all around.

    The great tragedy is that our ecology is being destroyed at an escalating pace. Mostly, I suppose, this is because of overcrowding. But also because of disregard for preserving the planet. If we would apply our greater enlightenment to restoring the earth, now that would be something.

    ReplyDelete