About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Transformative Literature

First, I'll get the bragging out of the way. I'm proud of myself for putting aside my oft-repeated bias about "historical fiction".

Because if I hadn't done so, West With Giraffes could easily have slipped by which would mean, in turn, I wouldn't now be recommending it - without reservation - to all of you. What a disservice that would have been to Lynda Rutledge's 2021 treasure. How I wish my blog had more reach; her novel deserves nothing less.

I'll begin with the pitch-perfect first-person voice of seventeen-year-old Dust Bowl orphan Woodrow Wilson Nickel. "Not having much practice with thanks, I didn't know what to say." Not hooked yet? Try this: "I straightened my spine and with the hubris of a selfish boy with nothing behind and everything ahead I said 'I can do it'."  The "it" in that sentence is driving a truck from New York to San Diego in 1938. Cargo? Two adult giraffes. Did I mention Woodrow has no driver's license?

A lifetime of reading has rewarded me with some memorable insights. This book is rich with gems like this one: "It's a strange thing how you can spend years with some folks and never know them, yet, with others, you only need a handful of days to know them far beyond years." Even out of context, that straightforward sentence rings true. In context, near the end of this quest, it is earned wisdom with the power to transform an attentive reader.

Other strengths: Superb use of period detail to catapult a reader into 1938 America, a solid moral core, fully-realized characters that will linger, an intriguing but not intrusive architecture. And, on page 339 a lengthy passage about the importance and enduring power of stories I copied word-for-word to ensure I can re-capture the warm glow of this novel anytime in the future that I wish. Instead of including that passage here, let me suggest you set aside some hours for West With Giraffes and discover it on your own. I'm confident you will thank me. Special nod to the three widely disparate readers who recommended this winner to me, all three recommendations coming within the space of two days. I'm convinced that was the universe's way of telling me to discard that nasty bias of mine.  

 

  

2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, Pat and thank you for yet another great suggestion. I had gotten into reading historical fiction after a recommendation from a LifeLong Learning professor after taking his class on the Black Death. Hardly a joyous time period, but it did get me started in this genre and I've enjoyed a number of books since that time, with a few more waiting. But your suggestion may find its way to the pile in my den. Thanks, as always.
    Be Well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Thanks for the comment. As I mentioned in this post historical fiction has moved way down in my queue in recent years. However, this book and "Enemy Women" (Paulette Jiles) - another one from this over-cooked niche that I recently blogged about favorably - have convinced me there are exceptions worth paying attention to even if the genre as a whole will never be a favorite, given the high number of marginal books that populate the shelfs under that rubric.

      Delete