Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Giving Oxygen

Recently, I listened as a friend recounted a jarring adolescent experience. After my friend finished, another listener reacted to the story with a comment that struck me as flippant, even mildly dismissive. My friend didn't outwardly appear to be put out by the comment, but the scene has re-played in my head ever since.

I think it was Stephen Covey (author of Seven Habits of Highly Effective People) who I first heard say that listening deeply to others is like giving them oxygen. When I hear someone sharing a story about their pain, a trauma, or even adolescent discomfort, my initial instinct is to lean in. More than a few times, I've heard others ask, "What good does it do another person if I sympathize with them?" Of course, the answer is it does no good at all. The past is past; pain cannot be undone.  

But that question ("What good...?) always strikes me as beside the point. A better question might be "How can it hurt me as a listener to let someone tell their story?" Good listening often requires little response; it costs nothing to be silent. And silence after someone has told their story is preferable to drawing glib conclusions, making judgments, problem solving.

What kind of listener are you? I have an old friend who I've heard tell stories of mistreatment he endured as a young boy in school. Each time he tells it, the pain of the memory is apparent. I hope I've been a good friend by giving him the oxygen he needs.

3 comments:

  1. Pat--I agree with you about listening. i wish I was better at it. But it is always a sacred privilege to be trusted with someone's painful story. It makes me think of Emily Dickinson's letter to her mentor which begins "I felt it shelter to speak to you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina; Thanks for the comment. In my experience with you, I'd call you a good listener. And thanks for the steady education you've been giving me in the work of our great poets - via Suffering School and otherwise- since I first met you over four years ago. I appreciate that.

      Delete
  2. How would you rate “reflective listening” and what are the benefits vs silence?

    ReplyDelete