About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

#43: The Mt. Rushmore Series

Any monument can be revised. That said, asked to memorialize four things that make New York City a place that never gets old, what would you pick? In no particular order, here are my current selections.

1.) The Highline: Converting an elevated railway line into a native plant paradise? Brilliant.

2.) Ethnic food: The "Eat The World" project my wife and I started five years ago has been much easier because we live proximate to NYC. Our latest culinary adventure was a visit to Myanmar (nee Burma) via Cafe Mingala on the Upper East Side. Not a "10" but at least I got off sous chef duty.

3.) Nightlife accessible via phone booths, etc:  Aside from the whiff of insider-ism accompanying these secretive hot spots, this is such a cool, quintessentially NYC concept.

4.) The Statue Of Liberty: Passing very close by the Statue on a July 4th cruise around NY harbor, I had a moment. Although patriotic symbols have limited appeal for me, something shifted that night and I don't think the beer had much to do with it.

Why is the Big Apple your favorite fruit?

1 comment:

  1. 1.) the music of Broadway and ambulance sirens
    2.) fine cuisine and hot dog stands
    3.) the very rich and the very homeless
    4.) the Naked Cowboy (He's still strutting his stuff, I presume.)

    ReplyDelete