About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, August 5, 2016

Ed And Marge, Circa 2016

When my wife and I bought our first home in 1983, she was twenty nine and I was thirty three. Our next door neighbors Ed and Marge were nice folks, good neighbors and the oldest people in our neighborhood. By the time our daughter was born in 1989, their son was in his mid 20's and on his own.

Our current next door neighbors - who moved in after we'd been here in our latest home a few years - are mid 30's, both teachers, first child born about ten months ago; wonderful people. When we initiated a neighborhood summer Friday twilight cocktail hour a while back, we were happy these folks - and several other neighbors with young children - all seemed genuinely happy to hang out with us. I mean, we are now Ed and Marge, the oldest people in our neighborhood, our ages today nearly identical to what theirs were in 1983. Our daughter is twenty seven and on her own.  

Both my wife and I liked Ed and Marge a great deal. But inviting them out for drinks never crossed my mind. At the time - forgive me, father - they just seemed ... old. So imagine my surprise when our thirty-something neighbors recently did exactly that. It did occur to me that perhaps they were just reciprocating our earlier hospitality. But even so, the subsequent interaction was comfortable and relaxed enough that I'm quite sure it won't be our last.

And it keeps getting better. When the musicians at the bar played a few contemporary songs we didn't recognize, my young friend - let's call him Pat, the 1983 iteration - educated my wife and I. He also loved my Mt. Rushmore concept and constructed several of his own mountains while we drank - four great rock songs, four memorable movies, etc. There are many ways to stay feeling young and vibrant. Hanging out with people young enough to be my children is one of my favorites. What is one of yours?

1 comment:

  1. This is "Pat." I had a blast, can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete