About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Stay Tuned for More Good News

Although every music course I've developed and taught since 2014 has been memorable in its own right, the maiden voyage of my current course - Journey Through the Past: History Via Song - is destined to stand apart in my memory. And there's still one session remaining.  

First, fifteen of the seventeen participants have taken an earlier course of mine. One of the "new" students is someone I met years ago as a fellow volunteer at Meals on Wheels and who has since been to both my book club and my conversational salon. The other is a friend of two past students who are attending the class. There is no higher compliment than past students inviting their friends to attend one of my classes. 

Next, I learned at the first session that a few of the returning participants keep a notebook devoted to stuff learned in some of my previous classes. Catnip for my outsized ego.

But as must be the case, the most enduring memories I'm collecting are connected to the music. It's difficult to over-state how juiced I get when I can see a song deeply touching a participant. This is especially so when some piece of what I share about the craft of songwriting or the musicianship on a recording helps someone connect more meaningfully with a tune, a performance, or both. Icing on the cake are those times when a song that is new to a listener hits the mark in a big way. I've already had several moments of musical communion with different participants over the first two sessions.

I eagerly anticipate next Wednesday. 


8 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people in your class taking down your great nuggets of wisdom in my notebook. In fact, I'm on my second notebook, the first packed with treasures from other courses with you. At times I will revisit some of the music discussed in past classes through my notes. Very valuable and enjoyable material for me to travel back to! "Thanks for the memories"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so anonymous; Thanks so much for the gracious feedback about my classes; you sincerely made my day. I'm beyond flattered that you are on your second notebook!

      Delete
  2. Hey Pat. Being a 'veteran' of your classes I have learned that taking notes is necessary but it is also enjoyable as I have frequently gone back to recall a song, or film, or book that you referenced. And, as also mentioned by 'anonymous' above, one notebook was never enough. The only negative I have is that they're only three weeks !!! Please keep the classes coming. You know I'll be there.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; This comment started my day off on a high. Thanks for that. I'm so pleased you enjoy the classes and I look forward to having you back as one of my most reliable "regulars".

      Delete
  3. Hi Pat it’s Wendy. I enjoyed your class as always. Really appreciate your knowledge and your passion for the subject matter. The last paragraph of your post above really resonated with me. Music can indeed be such a powerful force in our lives. Although most of my piano students are young children and therefore may not yet understand this concept, I’m hoping that through studying music, they will come to appreciate music’s power and influence as they get older. Just as my teacher did all those years ago, I try to expose them to all the great classical composers who I feel are sometimes neglected in the conversation. (Although my personal musical tastes are truly all over the map.). Definitely feel like one of my purposes here on earth is to pass along my love and appreciation of music (and playing piano) to the next generation. Thanks again for a great class and looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wendy; Thanks for the comment and bigger thanks for the gracious feedback about my classes and this post. Not surprisingly, I fully endorse the sentiments in your note about the value of educating children to the miracles of music. To me, that's a legacy that is sure to endure. Looking forward to seeing you in a future class.

      Delete
    2. Hi Pat, Just had a chance to catch up on some e mails, yours included. I learn something - actually many things when attending your courses. Biko was an ear worm for about two days until i finally went to YouTube and found Peter Gabriel performing it in a wonderful way.
      I also watched the movie Philomena. I heard that song for the first time in class as i read along to the lyrics. So powerful. So sad.
      I have other things in my notes that I know I will be listing to or watching after your always solid recommendations.
      Thank you for your enthusiasm and the joyful way you present your well curated materials.
      I am always amazed by and totally enjoy your your encyclopedic knowledge of music
      I will take any course you teach.

      Delete
    3. Marty; Thanks for the comment and all the kind words therein about my classes. It's such a pleasure to have smart and attentive music lovers like you, Wendy, Bob & "anonymous" (see the other comments above) in those classes. Bigger thanks for recruiting a new participant to my most recent class even if I did traumatize him in session #1.

      Delete