About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Thank You for Your Service

My closest connection to Veteran's Day is via my Dad who landed on Normandy during the second wave of D-Day. To this day, I get choked up even talking about the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. Watching that scene in the theater when the film was released, I was so overwrought I got out of my seat and walked into the lobby. I have never re-watched it. Imagining what my twenty-six-year-old Father experienced in that boat, on that beach, and over the hours he survived before feeling relatively safe, will always remain unfathomable to me. In every important respect, my Father was my hero and his status as a war veteran was a big part of my admiration for him. 

Yet somehow, knowing the little bit I did of my Dad's war history didn't automatically translate into a deep respect for veterans when I was a young man. Maybe it was because of when I came of age; Vietnam was raging, the streets were aflame, leaders who inspired were being gunned down. Maybe I was too immature. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't serve. But as I grew into a more reflective person, my reverence for the sacrifices of our veterans continually deepened.

I hope that reverence will continue to grow for as long as I live. I hope I will always be able to separate the mistakes our country makes, the demagogues we support, and the military misadventures old people dream up that get younger people killed, from those who proudly serve our country. All of them deserve no less. And I hope you'll join me today celebrating our veterans as well as applauding our President for his initiative to provide free nursing home coverage for any surviving veteran of WWII. If my Dad were still alive, he might have needed - and would have surely earned - that help.

12 comments:

  1. This may be your most eloquently written blog post yet. I admire your sentiments and the way you expressed them. And I also truly admired your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim; Given you have probably read more of my 2300 posts than anyone else, the fact that you think that much of this one surely means I hit the mark this time. Thanks for the positive feedback.

      Delete
  2. Hear! Hear! I can totally relate to your sentiments around Veteran's Day. And the story of your father is truly touching. As Kim says, eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing with the world your deep thoughts, and inner emotional feelings about your father's tremendous sacrifice and devotion to his family and country. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; You're welcome, of course. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful passage. Brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xx; Your tears are the ultimate compliment. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. This one got me. I too had an unending respect for my dad. He too
    landed on Normandy but in the first wave. Regrettably he
    was wounded and taken as a prisoner to a German POW Camp
    in France. There the wound in his leg became infected with
    gangrene and if it wasn't for a German doctor who took an
    interest in him I would not be here today. The doctor decided
    that his leg below his knee had to be amputated. I have often
    tried to imagine what he went through as I thought about the
    amputation procedure in a POW camp. Imagine is what I had
    to do because my dad never talked about. Think about it !. A
    little morphine, a metal bar for the mouth and a saw for the
    cutting. Ugh ! Even now I shudder when I write these words. My time in the
    military was in peace time and for that I am forever grateful.
    I believe that my dad paid the dues for his sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Thanks for this comment and sharing part of your Dad's Normandy story. My dad rarely talked about his war experience as well. Even all these years later, I wish he had.

      Delete
  6. Good morning, Pat. Sorry for. delayed response to this wonderful Veterans Day post. I, too, am always very grateful for the sacrifices made by the members of our military. Although never in combat my father was an Army veteran and my father in law actually flew missions - both he and my dad during the Korean 'Conflict'. My son is also a Veteran although he wasn't supposed to be. He enlisted in the Army National Guard to help where he could and for the educational opportunities it provided. But it was a very rude awakening when his unit was activated and they were sent overseas for a year. Needless to say it was a very unnerving time in all of our lives, especially his. But we were, and will always be, so very proud of his service.
    Thank you, again, for your wonderful reflection and post.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment and for the gracious feedback about it. Having a child on active duty is almost as unimaginable to me as my Dad's experience in Normandy. Glad both stories had happy endings.

      Delete