About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, September 4, 2017

Doubts And Confidence

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid people are full of confidence." -  Charles Bukowski  

Though I'm not fully aligned with Bukowski's elitist view, I am always astonished when listening to people who sound certain about nearly everything. I'm as opinionated as the next person, but that kind of unbridled confidence leaves little room for nuance. Harboring doubt is not tantamount to weakness. Doubts allow new information breathing room. Holding a position is very different than being held by that position.

Putting doubts and confidence aside, I increasingly find myself more drawn to those who ask others about their views prior to offering any of their own. I aspire to be more that kind of person; seems to me I'll learn a lot more that way. How about you? Full of doubts or full of confidence or - like me - somewhere in between?  

2 comments:

  1. Somewhere in-between for me but leaning heavily in the doubt direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment and continuing support of my blog.

      Delete