About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Messing With Competing Maxims

Although my life is not guided by them, on occasion I find myself a bit confused by popular maxims that seem contradictory. Anyone else on the bell curve ever mildly frustrated by this type of cognitive dissonance?

For example how to resolve the apparent tension between "Look before you leap" vs. "Opportunity knocks just once"? Maybe a good approach would be to combine the two, i.e. "Look for opportunity that knocks just once and then leap"? Your thoughts?

How do you square these  - "The meek shall inherit the earth" vs. "Nice guys finish last"? I suspect the more religiously inclined would eschew Leo Durocher's more secular and competitive approach but, despite the Bible's seniority, both get fairly equal airplay. Therein lies my dilemma.

Appearances to the contrary, I'm not interested in mental torture. So, if you have competing maxims that bother you, keep them to yourself. Unless ...  you have a clever way to deal with the conflict.      

No comments:

Post a Comment