About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Words For The Ages, Line Five

"I used to be disgusted but now I try to stay amused."

The Elvis Costello songbook is called "The Singing Dictionary" for good reason; few modern-day lyricists match his intelligence. And his trenchant aphorism-ready observations about contemporary life began when he snarled the line above to begin the song that opened side two of his debut album - "My Aim Is True". That recording was released in the oh-so-quaint 1977. 

I was hooked on Elvis the moment I heard him spit out those for-the-ages words. If you have a terse lyrical line from his massive oeuvre that you think tops my choice from "(Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes", I'd welcome hearing it. If your line is from a song I don't know, a prize awaits you. 

I submit the lyric opening this post fits the world more snugly now than it did when Elvis first hurled it at all of us forty years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment