About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

An Early New Year's Resolution

There are a few authors I tried in 2017 that I'm reasonably certain I'll never read again. There is one musician from 2017 that I'll avoid ever jamming with again. Barring unforeseen circumstances, 2017 marks the end of my attempting even a remotely political conversation with a few folks.

But I'm 100% certain, i.e. there is absolutely no doubt 2017 will be the last year I ever attend a high school reunion. At my age, the likelihood of another reunion taking place is admittedly slim. But, if anyone from the IHS class of 1967 decides to undertake the coordination of a 60th + reunion and that person happens to be reading this, please note: DO NOT CONTACT ME .

What happened to me in that banquet hall back in September is still unclear. How many times in your life have you had to re-learn the most fundamental lesson about following your gut instincts? Mine told me not to attend that 50th reunion. Then, after being persuaded to go, I published a post about a planned strategy - never used, mostly because I was nearly mute that night -  asking for your input. I tried to internalize what others suggested - here and via Facebook - but, in the end, not going in the first place would have been wiser.

What did you do in 2017 that you are certain you'll never do again? Care to join me and resolve to trust your gut more in 2018?

http://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2017/08/50-ways-to-leave-bad-stuff-behind.html

4 comments:

  1. I think life is more about trying and failing even more than trying and succeeding. So in the end you will haven learned from any of the experiences you have decided to forego in the future.

    I can not say with certainty there are things I did this year that I would NOT try again, and my year included many first time and challenging experiences.

    But you got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris; I agree life is as much about failing as succeeding and shutting off any experience does mean you won't learn from it the next time. That said, I'm still sure I've attended my last high school reunion! Thanks for reading and commenting. And I'm happy I "... got you thinking ..."

      Delete
  2. I am sorry you had such a negative experience. I attended my 50th two years ago and it was a wonderful experience. I reconnected with people I hadn't seen in 50 years (yikes!) and some as few as five years. We all had mutual experiences in high school as a starter and then the interest to see what life had brought to them. It was so rewarding that a group of us called ourselves "The Radnor High School Smarties" and agreed to meet again perhaps at my house to discuss books, walk on the beach and for them to attend one of my Nia classes. That hasn't happened yet but it might in 2018. The bottom line is that it was a life affirming wonderful experience for all of us. We were all of the same age, interested in hearing about our divergent life paths, and shared some of our memories(good and not so good) of the high school years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ines; Thanks for your comment and condolences. I'm glad you had such a pleasant experience at your own reunion. It appears I'm in the minority in not enjoying mine.

    ReplyDelete