About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Words For The Ages, Line Seven

"Don't confront me with my failures; I have not forgotten them."  


Although Jackson Browne's lyrics have been as consistent as most of his peers over a long career, it's taken me a long time to decide which lyric of his I'd use for this series. Which of his lyrics would you select as words for the ages? Remember; keep it terse. To date, all the aphorisms-disguised-as-song-lyrics I've used have been between six and thirteen words.

What strikes me most about the poignant line above from "These Days" is that Browne was barely in his twenties when he wrote it. Although I don't think I linger on my failures, forgetting them is hard.  Is it the same for you? In particular, my young adult failures still sting, which might explain why this particular lyric lands hard with me every time I hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment