About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A Modest Remedy

What impact do our words or actions have on others?

No doubt there have been previous periods when the public conversation here in the US has been as divisive and shrill as the present. Though I was a college student during the turbulent 60's and early 70's, the incivility and rancor seems more widespread today even when compared with those intense years. If you're near my age, I'd like to hear how your recollections compare with mine.

But even if my memory is failing me, I believe we could heal our collective wound a bit by routinely stopping to ask ourselves the question opening this post. I suppose it's a variation on the Golden Rule albeit with a different focus. Instead of treating others as we would like to be treated, begin by first considering how others might like to be treated. And then, adjust our words and actions accordingly.

Might also be nice if there weren't a screaming TV in nearly every public space. But even an almost-optimist like me has little hope that genie will ever return to its bottle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment