About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Need For Approval Vs. Moral Courage

Upon hitting three years of blogging in March 2014, I announced an intention to periodically re-read my posts from the same date three years back. My stated aim: To see what, if anything, had shifted for me over the ensuing years. I asked you to join me from time to time, maybe via taking a look at your own journal entries etc. from the same date three (or more) years ago. Readers who have tried this and then told me about the experiences have variously described the exercise as "illuminating", "unenlightening" and in one cranky case, "dull".

reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2012/06/tonight.html

Few of these backward glances - now encompassing posts from 2015-2011 - caught me up as short as the one above. When I wrote on 6/22/12 of my sickening feelings the night the Sandusky verdict was announced, my struggle was so naïve. My concern? Not wanting to sound glib by "...adding to a glut of superficial news coverage..."

Six years later, I'm shamed by all the equally sickening news events I haven't had the moral courage to reflect on here. At the top of my list would be letting the travesty of Charlottesville - and the tweeter-in-chief's response to it - go by unremarked. And what stopped me? Simple - a need for approval.

Work to do, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment