About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Meds And Confessions

Knowing my propensities, eight years ago a good friend gave me a mini-journal called "One Line A Day: A Five Year Memory Book" as a gift. On the spot, I decided this handy little tool could serve several purposes aside from it's intended use, i.e. jotting down a single memory for each day. So, in addition to that memory, I began recording the title of my blog posts - my blog was about a month old at the time -  and I also began giving myself a daily grade for both productivity and attitude. To help ensure you're not tempted to call a professional and suggest my meds need adjusting, I'll refrain from sharing my grading rubric at this time. But if, by some stretch, I have any company re this wackiness, now might be a good time to step into the bell curve confessional. Just saying.    

Meds and confessions aside, now that I'm three years and two months into my second "One Line A Day" (regular readers will not be surprised to learn that as 2015 ended and that first mini-journal was full, I immediately purchased a replacement), today's reflection relates to some clear, if modest, benefits I've detected that are connected to this "new" practice:

* It's been cool to vicariously re-live some recent life experiences via reading the memory piece of these entries. I'm reasonably sure many of these memories would have slipped away a bit without this tool. In particular, the time-way-from-home entries have been especially rich.

* Each tweak to the afore-mentioned grading rubric (Don't alert the doctor but I'm now on iteration #4), has me upping my game a little.

* Having those blog post titles handy has helped minimize the need for as much online searching.

Anyone else out there using "One Line A Day" - or something like it - for recording memories? What benefits have you detected doing so?

No comments:

Post a Comment